Serving Clients
in Kentucky & Ohio Courts
Hire an attorney with over 15 years of experience. I can help explain the divorce process. Get started by filling out my online evaluation form.

Dependency, Neglect and Abuse Lawyer
Florence, Boone County, KY | Covington, Kenton County, KY

You do not have to go to court alone. Let me help you. I am a fighter!

What is dependency, neglect and abuse, and what is the difference between these terms?
An "abused or neglected child" means a child whose health or welfare is harmed or threatened with harm. A "dependent child" means any child, other than an abused or neglected child, who is under improper care that is not due to an intentional act. 

What is the Cabinet?
The Cabinet for Health and Family Services has a subdivision called the Department for Community Based Services (DCBS), and under them is the Permanency and Protection division. They investigate dependency, neglect and abuse allegations, and they can either resolve the matter internally within their office, or they can file a court case. They are sometimes called Child Protective Services (CPS).

The Cabinet will prepare a Prevention Plan with steps you must follow to satisfy the Cabinet. They may talk to your child at school without notifying you. The Cabinet may remove a child from the home before court, or ask the court to remove the child from the home temporarily or permanently.

What is a GAL?
A Guardian ad litem (GAL) is an attorney appointed by the court to represent the child. 

What is CASA?
Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) are volunteers and act as the eyes and ears of the court and an advocate for the child. They get to know the child by talking to others involved in the child's life, filing a written report with the court discussing the child's issues and the volunteer's recommendations, and following up to make sure that court orders and the Cabinet's Prevention Plan are being followed. 

If you want to help ensure that every child has a safe and permanent home, please visit the CASA website. You must be at least 21 years old and pass a background check. You will receive 30-hours of classroom training, 4-hours of court observation, and continuing support from other volunteers and staff. You may have 1 or 2 cases at a time.

Why is the County Attorney involved in the case?
The County Attorney represents the state in these cases. The County Attorney conducts the hearings much like a prosecutor in a criminal case. The County Attorney also prosecutes criminal cases, but dependency, neglect and abuse cases are civil cases. While you may not go to jail or be fined, you could lose your children temporarily or permanently. The same set of facts could lead to both civil and criminal liability.

When should I contact a lawyer?
The Cabinet may show up at your door with the sheriff. It is natural to feel intimidated and uncertain of what to do. You need to understand your rights and how to protect them. Contacting a lawyer is critical, before you make statements, allow searches, agree to follow the Cabinet's recommendations, etc. If you leave your case up to a court-appointed lawyer or the cheapest lawyer you can find to take your case, you may get what you paid for.

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.
Aaron Law Offices PLLC
Located at 6900 Houston Road, Suite 12 Florence, KY 41042. View Map
Phone: (859) 525-9800
© 2016 All Rights Reserved.